Thursday, December 27, 2012

Goggle Eyes and Family Time

     Two things the Princess needs to discuss today. One very important one, because it is all about me. right? Goggle eyes!!! I cannot be walking around all day with goggle eyes. I had a commercial shoot last week and the make up artist was actually mad at me. Her exact words were, "did you really have to go swimming before working?" Since I knew her pretty well and had worked with her many times before, I said "It's your job to make me look great, let's see how good you really are!" What I was really thinking was, "No, I didn't want to get up at 5:00 to swim and have a 7:00 call but I am afraid not to. I need to get my workouts in if I am going to even try to make it to the starting line of Ironman Florida!" That is another reason I sign up for these events. If I didn't have a means to an end, I would have rolled over and gone back to sleep. I am a very self motivated person but on a commercial work day, I know I have to bring my A game or I won't work again. Acting and triathlons are very similar that way. You have to BRING it or you are in trouble.  I guess I just found another reason I am doing this. It scares me into not skipping workouts. Anyway, back to me:-) Anyone out there have any solutions for goggle eyes other than piling on a lot of makeup? Creams help a little but not a lot. I have enough wrinkles going on at this point! I don't need any more!!!


The next thing I wanted to discuss is family and training. As any of you real Ironmen know, (I'm just a wannabe) it can be a balancing act between, work, training and family!! I worry about those days when I wake up and wonder how I am going to get my workout in.  I don't like when it takes time away from my family and are they going to be mad. Two things I have going for me. I have 3 teenagers! Need I say more? They prefer that I am in the other room. Not too far away in case they need a ride or a meal cooked but not close enough to touch them:-) My son, who is almost 21 and a Jr. at University of Delaware, actually told me one time that I was breathing too loud. True story! How does that saying go, "Your kids would rather you be miserable in the next room that happy in Hawaii." For teenagers that's only because they think it's all about them. I have to remind mine on a daily basis that it is all about ME!! I am the Princess. I have found that at times this works out well for me. I swim while they sleep until 1:00 in the afternoon or if I have to be here to drive them to their 42 million events, I go in the basement on my trainer or treadmill. I am not a big fan of treadmill running but it is a good time to catch up on mindless TV. I'm hooked on Breaking Bad right now. The other great thing about basement workouts is that I do most of them in my PJ's. Of course I put my running bra underneath for the ladies:-) On work days for me, it gets a trickier! I have to be ready to "work" but will be distracted if I didn't get the "workout" in. Another OCD thing. I lose more interest in workouts with every hour that passes in a day. I am most definitely a morning person. I also worry that I am going to run out of energy. This happens to me a lot. I'll save that for another topic though.
I don't think someone can really train well for an event like this unless their spouse is supportive. I have known quite a few triathletes and marathon runners who have divorced over this. I am sorry, but if it came down to Ironman or my husband, he wins!!!   Although I'm not sure I understand this mentality.  I grew up the a physical education teacher for a mother and a West Point military ranger for a father. They always knew the value of being in shape.  If you really truly love someone, shouldn't your relationship be enhancing their life and not holding them back? We could argue that an Ironman goes beyond staying in shape. The money and time it takes to get to one could be a bone of contention. (Is that how that saying goes? I wanted to sound smart. You know, all this and brains too.) I am VERY fortunate in this area. Check back with me when I need to get in the 6 hour bike rides on the weekends when the kids have events. We will see, but right now my husband has my back. I even hear him in a crowd bragging about how his wife is a triathlete. I wish I could get him to join me but we all know the further you push, the more interest they lose. I am trying to push by example. He has driven me to events and sat and watched for hours for me to finish.  He even did a team at one with my sister and son. They won , I didn't:-) Another true story.  My husband is very funny. One time he even said to me, "Look honey they ARE putting the chairs away for the night." As I have mentioned, that is always my goal, to finish before that truck comes around to pick up the cones:-) One more thing about Prince Charming. Ok maybe two. He pushes me to do what I need to do, and trust me, I've put my sights on some strange ventures. You try being married to an actress who is training for a Ironman.  He is always there to catch me when I fall!  Prince Charming is also not the clingy kind. Yes, we need time together and yes he loves sex but we don't need to be on top of each other all the time. We both like our space. That to me works in my "IronPrincess" favor.

I mentioned how funny my husband is? I got the whole family to do a mud run with me recently. I told him to go around and take pictures for our scrapbook and this is what he came back with.

Ahhhhh no, she is not me or a family member:-)

This is me:-) I need that girls tight shorts though. Wait, maybe I need her butt too.

Enough about me for the day! Let's talk about you. What do you think of me.... Go?? You knew that was coming.




No comments:

Post a Comment